Saturday, September 5, 2009

How our parents affected us

When we were young, we looked at and looked up to our parents. Certain times we did not like the way our parents treated us and that experience sticked with us for the rest of our life. There is no doubt that most of the time our parents had treated us well!

As young kid, my father was then a very stern person and always spoke to me in harsh words and he is hot-tempered until this day. He did not talk to me much and always wanted to position himself in such an authoritative manner that he is the father and he could do what he likes to do. My mother was equally hot tempered and scolded me a lot, though things changed for the better when I became older.

I could understand no parents are perfect, and perhaps that was the way the society hierachy was all about on how parents should behave as authority over their children during that era of time. In those early days, teachers from school were unquestionable authorities, and when teachers complained about students, the parents will punish their children without further investigation on the whole truth. Nowadays, things had changed with time, so much so that parents will sue teacher for any punishment received from teacher who might have accidentally hurt the students physically. For that reason, we as present day parents also need to change along side and be in sync with this new generation, we have to be more friendly and use kind and encouraging words to speak to our children. I had decided long time ago to treat my son and daughter as friends!

What and how parents had treated us in the past, little did they know that the way they handle and behave themselves as parents has a profound effect on their children later on. My siblings and I somehow inherited the bad temper of my parents.

I always keep in my mind those weaknesses of my parents and never want to do the same to my children. Because of my mum was hot-tempered and therefore I would never wanted to marry a wife who is of the same nature! My wife is mild in temper though nagging is her weakness! We are all no perfect human beings, if we could know our weaknesses and correct them over time, we shall become better individuals and our children will also appreciate and remember us as good parents.

Life is so good and time is so short, let us all have a good and happy family through our concerted effort in playing our roles as responsible parents and children. May God bless us and guide us to become better parents for our children!

No comments:

Post a Comment