Wednesday, April 21, 2010

London trip long time ago

On my trip to Europe, I had booked my flight back from London Heathrow airport after the training in Mercedes Benz city of Unterturkheim Stuttgart. I had to make a choice whether to go through Italy or Paris, and my friend who owned a restaurant in Cologne advised me to choose the route to Paris instead. Crossing from Germany to Paris by train and there was no visa checking at all even at that time. Bumped into two Israelis first time in my life and we went around Paris with the Metro underground train. I was surprised that I could read the Metro map so well, much better than the two Israelis that they kept following me because they were a bit confused with the directions. We visited the Eiffel tower together and eventually splitted our own ways because I had to cross the English Channel to Dover port in order to reach London. Dover port immigration crossing was embarrasing for me as at that time Malaysians were notorious for drug trafficking. The custom officer questioned me and even requested me to show a letter from friend to prove my link for the visit. The content of the letter included a nasty comment about English men, I hesitated but the letter was shown to him eventually; and it said something like this " The English men are all gentlemen from their external look and behavior, but many of them are just hyprocrites!...". I was deeply sorry for this comment written by my nurse friend cum former tuition teacher Yee Lai Ching! Anyway he asked for it!  You know the reason why I was the last person to clear the port immigration and then the gate was closed for the day!

I was supposed to stay 1-2 days in London before to visit my classmate Kong Kam Sang who studied in Sunderland and they waited for me there preparing for a Europe tour. I did not make it on the advice from my friend that Sunderland was far and I was running short of time. Ended up staying one whole week in London to do all the eating and sight-seeing.

There was a little side story while I boarded the plane in Subang airport, my cousin brother-in-law from Rawang was sending me off. My luggage was slightly over-weight and coincidently one of his neigbors was sending her daughter off to London. And she helped me to carry part of the excess luggage to avoid the extra payment. And we set a date to meet in London for getting back those stuff and somehow at later part we managed to choose a place called "Marble Arch" near the tube station. She probably happened to know one of my classmates Oh Tet Min who studied in England at that time and he commented on what a romantic place we had chosen to meet at Marble Arch! We went on the same flight sitting next to each other, had transit in the same Karachi airport and we parted thereafter.

After my graduation, somehow she remained single upon return from England, and her parents were casually asking about me, the guy who accompanied her to London! You know what, when I did my binding for my thesis paper in one of the shops through the help of one of my classmates, she was working in that particular shop and she was asking about me! Did not know exactly the reason why, somehow I did not make an effort to meet her, most probably I think it had something to do with the Marble Arch meeting that she did not even bother to show me around or invite me for a drink as a friend!

There was nothing more excited than going home after my 2 months stay in Europe. Heathrow was a busy airport and I met a girl who was returning home on the same flight and she proudly showed me her playboy membership card to me. And until now I am still not sure what a playboy club membership in England is for! Someone could tell me what it is?

4 comments:

  1. Playboy club membership ... sorry cannot help.

    Your trip to or from London is not recently, as of all the problem with the Iceland Volcanic eruption .. lucky you.

    Visiting your site due to Tiger Blosfest 2010, looking for stories facts or fun on my quest of Tiger marathon In cyberspace.

    Have a nice Earth day.


    Best Regards.


    A.Alshukor
    Cinta Alam Malaysia.

    PS, Rawang, Hulu Selangor very busy, been there lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting!

    Once you have all your stories and facts done up, let me know where I could read them.

    Regards,
    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a trip made of many memories. I guess that's what makes a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,

    It was really a great trip that I remember most of the details till today.

    ReplyDelete