Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Malaysian fighting fish - Betta Imbellis

I bought 2 pairs of the above wild fighting fishes in Kampong Gajah, Perak just to satisfy my quest for keeping these fishes after leaving Malaysia for so many years. It is a kind of fish hard to be domesticated because they will find every opportunity to jump out of the containers. On my way to Kemaman, one male fish jumped out of a very small hole of a plastic container and died in the car, while another female jumped out again in my Cukai home. I bought a very nice small tank, decorated with stone, sand and plants, even put in some Indian almond leaves so as to simulate the condition of its natural habitat of a peat swamp, thinking that the fishes would like the place and stay there comfortably. I placed a male fish of about an inch there and subsequently introduced another female fish to become its partner. On top of the tank, a transparent glass lid that covered up almost 80% of the surface area was placed there. With the leaves and plant spreaded out, that would leave a very narrow space and thus also little chance for the fishes to jump out of the tank.

The fishes stayed in there for a couple of days and the male blew and formed its bubbles on the edge of the leaves and subsequently I believe they mated while I was back home to Kuala Lumpur.  Upon my return I did not see any of the fishes and I thought they were just hiding somewhere inside one of the leaves. Today I suddenly discovered very small tiny fishes numbering in the region of 40 swimming in the tank. I was excited and I thought to myself the eggs must have been hatched and what came to my mind next was to remove the adult fishes so as keep the small fishes from being eaten by them. I flipped all the leaves and searched the tank but could not locate the adult fishes. And I suppose those fishes must have jumped out of the tank again.

I hope those small fishes could grow up fast enough to make up for the loss of my 2 pairs of adult fishes

6 comments:

  1. I kept my first imbellis in Kemaman way back in 1959. Decades later cross bred them with short-tailed splendens with my favorite individual a red with golden yellow spots and stripes. Will start breeding again after I've run out of places to cycle-tour to!
    Email me the June trip to China details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had cross bred them once with a white Siamese female and the offspring was awesome in appearance! Nowadays it is hard to purchase any female from the shops.

    Do let me know when you start that hobby again and I will drive up to Dungun to pay you a visit and take a look.

    Had sent you the details of the China cycling trip

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear all

    My name is Sung and I am a lover of Malaysia local fighter fish .

    Can anyone share with me where can I catch Local Fighting in the peninsula of Malaysia.

    I really appreciate if some one can help.

    I don't mine to buy too.

    Many thanks



    Sung

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete