Monday, June 21, 2010

Jumping the queue

Cutting into someone else's lane while driving is not of any pleasant experience. Having said that, I did cut into someone else and jumped the queue, not because I wanted to but because I am running out of time while rushing to work. Of course it is not a good excuse because I could have waken up a bit early to beat the traffic jam! Well, sometimes when you wake up early but yet you see a massive jam right in front of you, you could imagine the frustration and at the spur of the moment, you decide just to do the unpleasant thing!

To do a jumping the qeueu, you must have certain technique and strategies. First rule is, do not be the first one to jump the qeueu. If you see at least two vehicles had taken the lead, you must mark down the vehicles before you join them. Rule number two is, if possible, cut in right in front of those vehicles which they themselves had done the queue jumping. In that way, they are most likely to give way to your vehicle because they feel guilty if they do not allow you to cut in! Why I said two vehicles at least, because some vehicles just cut in within a short distance and that does not take you very far to relieve you from the long jam. So hoping that at least one of the two cars would cut in as far ahead as possible, though this is just a bet. Another thing is, the two vehicles ahead of you are to test the presence of any traffic police at the further end down the road!

Whatever I mentioned here, it is not the right thing to cut in into somebody else's lane. Do not do that too often, either you will get into trouble or get a ticket from the traffic police. The lite FM radio this morning was discussing on the topic about raising a hand while you had cut in to somebody else's lane and symbolically saying sorry to the other driver. I personally think that it is a good practice because most drivers will feel better and pardon your annoying act, and that is the basic courtesy to calm down someone you had offended.

Recently I had encountered someone who blocked a narrow path of a side lane. The most annoying thing was that the driver and the worker were treating us as though we were transparent, did not even have the courtesy to raise their hands or signal us to wait while they were doing their unloading at their own sweet time! Such arrogance at the expense of other people's convenience had crossed the limit of my temper and tolerance zone that day, and I got down and shouted at them! I am sorry for such unpleasant words spoken but that worked perfectly well though! They moved their vehicle immediately!

For all the nonsensical behavior that I had displayed while on the road, I am seeing it as a failure on my part to set a good example for my son who is now driving his own car. I promise that I have to learn to become more patient and better disciplined driver from now onwards so that he could emulate me to be a better and more responsible driver!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha.. I did that once.. when the lady beside me need to rush to visit the rest room.. I get a lot of ..horns ..hard look from other drivers ..he,he.. I waved them to say I was sorry...
    I guess it is difficult to be more patient and better disciplined driver..
    As I ride to work daily ..sometime I was scolded by other riders for stopping at red light!!
    No offense taken though, especially if the one who scolded me was much bigger than me..he..he

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I wonder what would happen if you ever cut into the lane of Dato' Azahar accompanied by his big sized 90 kilo sons! I know he does not like people to cut into his lane! He might even get his lawyer daughter to sue you for encroaching his right of the road!

    ReplyDelete