Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kuala Trengganu trips

It was many years ago I last visited Kuala Trengganu or KT and I have no impression at all to recognize any place or landmark of KT. I only remember Rantau Abang where my wife and I waited in vain for the sea turtles to lay eggs. I think we stayed nearby Rantau Abang for the night but could not remember exactly which hotel or chalet, coud it be Tanjong Jara resort? Geographically speaking Rantau Abang is in Dungun just before reaching Marang district. My family and I were on the way to Merang jetty to catch a boat to Redang island. The resort organizer had told us to go all the way to Kampong Cina or China Town of KT and wait in her office so that they could lead us to Merang. We started the journey at 5.30 am from Cukai Kemaman and reached there about 8.15 am, no time for breakfast but yet missed the van who was supposed to lead us there. The map given was confusing and asking us to look out for the Central Market but we did manage to pass by, missed the junction, and stopped at the Balai Bomba or fire fighting department nearby a mosque. Took another round because it was a one way street and went into Jalan Bonggol, and again went the wrong direction. The organizer boss had finally agreed to send someone to look for us and lead us out of KT to the Merang jetty. Wan Sharif mentioned to me once in my blog about Pulau Duyong and I passed by that place and noticed a big mosque there almost like floating on the river, and there was sign written as "Kota Lama Pulau Duyong". I was told by Azman that one of our shift-in-charge executives, Suffian bin Man is also originated from Pulau Duyong! Another executive Wan Long's  village is also nearby the same area!

It was a long winding road to Merang jetty on the way to Permaisuri passing by the airport. It took us about 40 minutes to reach there and we waited at the coffee shop of the jetty for almost 2 hours before the boat arrived to pick us to Redang Reef Resort. Cannot understand why we have to wake up so early and rush to the jetty, the organizer just want to have her own convenience I suppose!


At the jetty


                                       













At the resort

















We spent 3 days 2 nights in Redang island and returned to Cukai. The next day we drove up to KT again and attended wedding lunch of CK Aziz in Kampung Gelugor on the other side of KT. It was not an easy find if not for Azman who had asked around for the direction. Going through winding and narrow canal roads which only allow the passing of one vehicle at a time before reaching our final destination.

So within 1 week I had visited KT twice! I told Azman that I would stop at any of the aquarium shops there to see if there is any chance for to find a KT bred wild fighting fish to bring home. Just no luck and we had headed straight home for the day!


  Canal and narrow road
















Aziz's house 

















Young guests
                                                                                                                        
The feast and the young guests                                                                                                                     


4 comments:

  1. I guess, if you are meticulous and very punctual.. you might want to do your own trip.
    I was warned about group excursion that can be very tiring if you have one or two in the group not following the plan or agenda..
    Did not see much entries on activities while you were in Redang..
    Have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of writing about those activities in Redang in another topic as it was getting too long.

    We made up our mind to go Redang last minutes and there was no room if not for the group excursion arrangement by this travel agency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin,
    High time to get yourself a GPS with road maps. It would be easy to find your way. Made in china types are just below RM400.00 .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Captain, the Exora that I was driving comes with GPS but I hardly use it and also totally forgotton about it.

    ReplyDelete