Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Catching fighting fish

My brothers and I were trying to catch some of those fighting fishes. We went to search around the spots where we used to catch them. Around the village, those areas had been developed into housing projects and their habitat is gone forever. We drove to SMTD near to Air Kuning, and we went into the pond we used to catch quite a few before many years ago but there was no more fighting fish. Suddently I remember some of my childhood friends of Kampar, they are children of a far relative living near the railway track in Wah Loong area. They caught fighting fishes in the puddles of water near the railway track. We drove through the old railway flyover, the new sport complex and Kampong Batu Putih to reach our destination. Again we tried in vain with no fighting fish. While passing by and on the road side near a stream, we found some water plants and I brought them back all the way to Terengganu, but they all rotted upon arrival here after keeping them 2 days in the house in a container, perhaps the plants could not withstand the long journey

The family members suddenly proposed to drive all the way to Tualang to eat "Ice Kacang" and jelly drinks. And I took the opportunity to contact Arshad of Kampong Gajah since the place is on the way to Tualang as we took the road passing through Tronoh Mines and Kampong Timah. He advertised in internet on wild fighting fish for sale. We met him near the Agro bank and then he led us to his home just across the Perak river after a bridge. He kept quite a quantity of wild fighting fishes. We bought Rm100 for 4 pairs, my brother and I shared each 2 pairs (male and female), though it is a bit expensive. Anyway, it is Chinese New Year fun, Arshad and us are happy over this because we got what we wanted eventually!

On my way of transporting those fishes to my Cukai home, one of the male fishes jumped out of the container and died, what a pity!

No comments:

Post a Comment