Friday, March 5, 2010

Flashing and floaters in the eye!

Recently I experienced a mild flashing or photopsia in my left eye whenever I turn my eyeball to view on the left side, there is a slight flashing or flicker of light at the corner of the eye. Against bright light, I see a few floaters or small bubbles but this condition existed before and should cause no alarm at all. I searched through the internet and was told that this could be a result of posterior vitreous detachment or PVD whereby because of aging the vitreous gel becomes more watery in the center of the eye ball; while the heavier or denser peripheral more gel like vitreous detaches and moves towards the softer center of the eye ball. However the occasional flashes might be a symptom of  a torn, tugged or detach of the retina from the back of the eye ball as a further result from PVD. This is a more serious problem that could cause the loss of eyesight and might need to see a eye surgeon to check on it. At this point of time, this slight flashing does not really bother me at all because I always focus my eyes right in front most of the time rather than side way!

Well, when we start to age, we do not know all these kinds of funny and teething problems could come to affect us. We practically never heard of,  knew and thought about this PVD or retina detachment,  if not because of the convenience of the internet. All the time people just talk about diabetes, high blood pressure, gouts, high cholestrol and uric acid etc. which are more common amongst the middle-age group people.

Now I have put a lot more emphasis on exercise, reducing weight and eating less. No one could defy aging but through exercise, we hope to delay the process. Other than this,  I am actually having a bigger plan or dream for myself, as written earlier I hope to be physically fit enough to join a  marathon run of 42 km!

1 comment:

  1. I had checked that the blood pressure which is 120/70 while blood sugar content is 7.8 after meal!

    I think it should be normal

    ReplyDelete